Friday, April 12, 2013

Well I have been in America for a total of 11 days!

I would have not idea how long it has been if it were not for the calendar keeping track for me.
Time is such a strange thing. I don't know if you have ever felt this way but it seems to be something that I just continue to be confounded by.

I made it safe and sound to American ground, and have had not problem with jet-lag at all after a nearly 30 hour trip.  I was able to make all my flights and I know that was a gift from God because there were some "close one's".

I was excited to walk down the escalator and see my family. I was excited for the familiar faces, hugs and places! The faces and hugs stayed a welcome comfort as we headed home from the airport, but as we drove, the things I was counting on to be familiar were no longer familiar- known, but not familiar. I was surprised by the speed of culture shock.

I had heard about this thing called culture shock and experienced it at certain levels, but this all is new to me.

I have been home for 11 days, 11 days and thousands of aches missing the kids I love.

One day to travel seemed far too short comparing my life there to here. It only took me one day to get here? But it feels like a whole different world! One day to go from the warm sun, to snow days, one day from not being able to understand barely anyone at the supermarket, to Walmart where you can understand everyone and they have 17 different brands of corn chips. One day to go from being a mother figure to 15 different children, to hanging out in my own whole basement with no little hands patting or chattering for my attention.

I am truly thankful to be united with my family and friends once again! I feel so loved. I would be lying if I said it was easy though. I believe God has but me in a very unique place intended only for my good and His glory, but I believe also that this will be the hard part of this missionary.


But I pray that this type of culture shock would not leave me broken but evermore thirsty for HOME- heaven.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad you made it back safely! Wish I could be there to ask you about your time in Africa. I hope you are able to transition smoothly into a regular routine at home. The LORD has indeed put you where you are for His purpose, and I from His promises that it is good! Love you!! I really enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here!